The Matyáš Bernard Braun House is located on the corner of Charles Square (Karlovo náměstí) and Řeznická street in close proximity to the New Town Hall. The first historical records of the building date back to 1337. As with other typical burgher houses, the Braun House is remarkable for its unusual ground plan, numerous wings and extended courtyard.
Currently, the building has features of Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Neoclassical and Modern architecture. Earlier, two Gothic houses most probably stood on this location. The houses, or parts of them, likely formed part of the fortifications of Prague's New Town. The Gothic basement and part of the ground floor have survived in their original forms to date.
Originally, the building was named the Salmovský House or the Stone Table House (U kamenného stolu). In compliance with the then custom, the building was allocated house number 671 and the official sign “Stars”. Until 1714, when the famous sculptor Matyáš Bernard Braun bought it for 2,915 guilders, the building was owned by different Prague burghers.
Matyáš Bernard Braun funded and participated in the renovation of the large, anonymous building and turned it into a prominent structure with features of a palace. In this location, the structure was notable for its size and plentiful, elevational massing. Matyáš Bernard Braun died in the building in 1738. Another significant renovation of the building was carried out based on the initiative of Braun's daughter Marie in the 18th century. During this renovation, the attic space was transformed into an actual floor.
After Marie's death in 1796, her son František sold the Braun House to princess Johana von Hohenlohe-Kirchberg for 9,000 guilders. The owner of the house changed again in 1867, when the Thun-Hohenstein family acquired the house through marriage. This family owned the house until the end of the existence of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. The Thun-Hohenstein family made other numerous modifications mainly inside the building.
The house was completely renovated in 1990-1992 by the National Property Fund of the Czech and Slovak Federal Republic.